Why It Is Great To Raise Children In Peters Township
There are lots of nice places to raise a family; however, great places are hard to find. Luckily, Peters Township is one such area. With very little crime, little to no drug or alcohol problems, excellent competitive public and private schools, higher education opportunities, tons of family focused activities and services, parks, recreation, golf, shopping and volunteer opportunities, there is something to entertain your whole family, and prepare them to succeed in all facets of life.
About Our Schools
The Peters Township School District Curriculum Department works hard to go above and beyond the needs of all our students; ensuring that every child has the opportunity to excel, graduate, and competitively apply for college or join the work force. The Peters Township School District has The Core Body Of Knowledge to thank for much of their student’s success over the years. The Core Body Of Knowledge is extracted from the District’s curriculum for every core subject area and it outlines what every child is expected to know and perform in each content area. The Core Body Of Knowledge breaks down the curriculum into simple, manageable amounts so students can be self reliant and easily keep up with what they need to learn to pass to the next grade.
Our Schools are also amazing because not only do we have high success rates, but all high school students have the opportunity to compete for admission to the full-scholarship Pennsylvania Governor’s Schools of Excellence. There are eight residential summer programs on college campuses serving high school students with abilities and interest in the agricultural sciences, the creative and performing arts, global entrepreneurship, health care, information technology, international studies, the sciences and teaching.
You child will be able to experience unique, hands on, out of the box learning opportunities through The Regional Summer Schools of Excellence grant-making program that assists in developing projects targeted to the needs of gifted and talented learners.
Pittsburgh was named America’s fifth Best Place to Raise A Family in Reader’s Digest and that is no great surprise to any of the residents! The region is blessed with family attractions that educate while entertaining, making all the local parents actually excited for summer! While raising your family in the Peters Township area, you will never hear your kids say, “I’m bored, there is nothing to do!” Here are just a few of the attractions that make our area one of the greatest to raise a family:
- Carnegie Science Center: Explore the mysteries of science where you can investigate over 25 exhibits related to science and technology.
- Pittsburgh Children’s Museum: Three floors of hands on exhibits. Kids can explore climbing mazes, build and launch flying machines, use pulleys to raise themselves up in human powered elevators and get creative with silk screening, painting and computer graphic design
- National Aviary: marvel at hummingbirds the size of a thumb or Andean Condors with giant 10 foot wingspans. This is one of the only free-standing aviaries in the world.
- Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium: Only 20 minutes from downtown, the zoo is home to more than 4, 000 animals in natural settings. There are also two babyelephants! The Zoo’s Kids Kingdom and Discovery Pavilion have earned the Pittsburgh Zoo and Aquarium to be ranked as one of the top three children’s zoos in the United States by Allen W. Nyhus, zoo critic and author of “The Zoo Book, A Guide to America’s Best.”
- Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens: See one of the most intricate Beaux Arts buildings in the city. Phipps has towering tropical plants that were the original seedlings at the 1890 Exposition, miniature orchids, indoor and outdoor gardens and a fabulous bonsai collection. The Discover Garden invites children to exercise their green thumb and explore the world of plants and flowers. Seasonal exhibits include spring and winter flower shows and a Butterfly Garden
- The Senator John Heinz Pittsburgh Regional History Center: A robot offers a guided tour of the first floor of this amazing History Center that tells the experiences of the waves of immigrants who were swept into Pittsburgh and the surround areas. You start in the 1750s and travel through time to the present.
- Kennywood Park: Known as the 102-year old roller coaster capital of the world, you can enjoy all kinds of rides, get wet on the Pittsburgh Plunge and experience classic wooden coasters. Kennywood is a national historic landmark full of history, beauty and fun tradition.
- Carnegie Museum of Natural History: See a Giant T-Rex, Egyptian artifacts, visit the Hall of Minerals and Gems, and explore in wonder in the Hall of American Indians. The Carnegie Museum of Natural History is one of the largest, most contemporary exhibits on American Indians in the United States-this is a visit everyone should experience.
- Sandcastle Waterpark: Tons of water, Tons of fun and 15 of the wildest, wettest, wackiest waterslides imaginable. For those not huge fans of the wilder wet rides, there is a lazy river and pools, shops, and mini slides for the younger family members.
Our area surrounding the Peters Township is full of family fun, making it one of the greatest places to raise a family! These are only a few of the numerous family activities you can enjoy year round as a resident of the Peters Township, and if you are considering making Peters Township the safe haven for your family, then contact me, your Pittsburgh Real Estate Expert, browse through the Featured Peters Township Area Listings or fill out a handy Relocation Package form to get the latest Peters Township and Pittsburgh area information customized for your family.